Thursday, June 24, 2010

The MRI shows what??

This last weekend was graduation which I was able to celebrate with family, friends and classmates.  Today is the day after my final presentation and I am done with school and can relax. NOT!!!!!! I had an MRI last night after my presentation and today was the appointment with Dr. Mrugala. I expected to have a nice short visit and tell him my leg pain is killing me but other than that I am done with school and will have to relax and hope the leg pain goes away or gets better. After all stress makes things worse, right?  In good news I reported to Dr. Mrugala that the meds are working in one way, I have only had two migraines all year. :)


Well after a few tests Dr. Mrugala becomes more serious than I have seen, and my heart falls into my stomach. What followed was nothing I was prepared for and I honestly think I went into shock as the information went in one ear and out the other. Dr. Mrugala showed my mom and I the MRIs from last June and then the one from last night. There was a significant difference in the tumor that is possibly causing my pain issues.

This type of tumor called a neurofibroma is not generally removed unless it is causing an issue. Last year when this tumor was noted in the MRI it was small and not touching anything in the surrounding brain stem area. Dr. Mrugala said that these types of tumors are slow growing if they grow at all which is unlikely. However, I should go buy a lotto ticket because the unlikely happened. The tumor grew buy a centimeter and a half (I think, like I said I was in a daze) and now is pressing/compressing my spinal cord. I don't remember the exact measurement but looks like by a third.

The next words that were spoken feel hazy to me but went something like this “it has to be REMOVED” and “it is NOT IN THE BEST PLACE.” Dr. Mrugala will take the case to the tumor board which meets every Wednesday and I will hear from him next Thursday. WHAT?? I have to wait a week? Right….. how am I supposed to feel about this?

Anger…….why this?  Why now?

No comments:

Post a Comment