Saturday, July 24, 2010

Painful MRI last night, and check out today.

In order to go home yesterday, I needed to have a MRI but there was a long list of people who also needed MRIs. To make a long story short my MRI kept getting pushed back later and later, which resulted in having the MRI at 9pm. 

They took me down to the MRI in a wheel chair and once I was in the MRI area I used a walker to get to the machine.  I had to lay down flat on my back, neck and head, which increased my pain.  As I was laying there during the 40 min MRI I felt like my head was ripping open.  After the MRI I was in so much pain the nurse had to lift me off the table.  On the way back up to my room my head started throbbing more and more.  I was trying not to cry, but by the time I got back to my room the tears had started. 

Shortly after the nurse left I was in more pain than I have ever been before and crying so hard I hyperventilated.  I could barley get any words out, but asked for someone to help me and make it stop hurting.  One of the nurses came in and gave me morphine through my IV and I was told to wait. A little more than a hour later I was still in excruciating pain and was given another shot of morphine followed by oxycodone.  I was finally able to lay down on my left side/ear with only minor pain.  At this point going home was not an option. Mom stayed with me while Dad went home.

About 1am a nurse came in to take my blood sugar which I didn't wake up to.  At 5:30am I woke up from excruciating pain in my neck, head and nose (nose was squished from trying to lay my head down without the wound touching anything) and was given more pain killers.  I was able to sleep for about a hour more until the neurology team woke me up to take vitals, assess strength and to check the wound.  They said everything looked good and the MRI showed they got all of the tumors.  (When I had asked Dr. Tredway yesterday why they didn't remove the other small tumors during surgery, he stated that some of the smaller ones were actually part of the larger.) 

I ordered breakfast and after eating went over the paperwork with a nurse and was cleared to go home.  Dad called see how I was doing and admitted that he was so sorry I was in so much pain last night and that he almost cried because he saw how much I hurt. Scott arrived shortly after and together with mom's help packed up belongings to go home.

Now at home I am trying to remember everything I wanted to write about but struggle with all the events.  I guess it is time to a take nap!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment